There Is Only War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To forum has been built primarily to discuss the upcoming games days for a small band of gamers. We will see what happens from there.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Basing Minitures - How To?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Angus

Angus

Basing Minitures - How To? Empty
PostSubject: Basing Minitures - How To?   Basing Minitures - How To? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 8:33 pm

How do you guys base your mini's?

I have always been a lazy baser simply relying on painting the base either grey or green but would like to improve as I am putting a lot more effort into them.

Zyklon I loved the base on your Chaplain...

Cheers.

Angus
Back to top Go down
http://www.brisbanefishing.com.au
Zyklon

Zyklon

PostSubject: Re: Basing Minitures - How To?   Basing Minitures - How To? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 9:22 pm

glue, sand a bit of paint some drybrushing, more glue and modelling grass Smile
Back to top Go down
Jules

Jules

PostSubject: Re: Basing Minitures - How To?   Basing Minitures - How To? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 1:48 am

Mine aren't as pretty as that.

More of a "generation 1 & 2 codex" look which is consistent accross the army.

- fill any gaps in the slot-base with blu-tac & harden with super glue.
- PVA glue on top of base (but not sides or too much on model's feet)
- dip in flock & let dry
- paint the whole base goblin green inck the flocked top
- dry-brush a mix of white & yellow on the tips of the flock.

i've also done an experimental "Necromunda base" which looks like they are standing on a steel grate:-

-a round piece of mozzie screen glued on the top of the base (trying to be as invisible as possible with the gap for the model's slotbase).
- fill any gaps in the slot-base (under the screen)with blu-tac & harden with super glue.
- Take Mick Jagger's advice and "paint it black"
- drybrush boltgun metal over the screen to make it look like steel grill.

pics should show up this week of both styles.

Last edited by Jules on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jules

Jules

PostSubject: Re: Basing Minitures - How To?   Basing Minitures - How To? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Basing Minitures - How To? Chapla10

"generation 1 & 2 codex" look

Basing Minitures - How To? Necrom14

"steel grate" look.

Would probably work well for Chaos.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: Basing Minitures - How To?   Basing Minitures - How To? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Yeah man I love the grate look for mine. I have always liked the look of "industrial" game tables in general. If I make any scenery it will be in this vain.

So to get the perfect size mozzie screen do you just literally stencil it with a cutting knife?

And do you work around the slot or cut them from the feet and then just glue the feet straight onto the screen.

I know either way would prob work but im happier going with tried and tested here Razz

Angus
Back to top Go down
http://www.brisbanefishing.com.au
Jules

Jules

PostSubject: Re: Basing Minitures - How To?   Basing Minitures - How To? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Angus wrote:

So to get the perfect size mozzie screen do you just literally stencil it with a cutting knife?

That's it exactly. i recommend using a spare piece rather than a screen on the window of your house. :p

Angus wrote:

And do you work around the slot or cut them from the feet and then just glue the feet straight onto the screen.

It's hard to remember (the minatures are at home and i'm at work, plus they were done years ago) however i think the basic principles would be:-

- It's better to glue a model's feet to the base (and trim the screen around the feet) than have the feet sitting on top of insect screen (more solid in look and in practice).

- Horses for courses with fitting the screen around the slotbase. With some models you need to cut a slit in the screen for the metal bar to push through the screen to the base (and then join the cut screen back together to look seamless enough). On other models you can push the rolled-up & pre-cut screen through it's legs and unfold it (with holes for feet pre-cut).

Thankfully insect screen is cheap so you can experiment a bit without wasting money.

I've got a bunch of unpainted "steel grill base" models at home. Next time one of us has a look at those we can check out some of the different solutions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basing Minitures - How To?   Basing Minitures - How To? Empty

Back to top Go down

Basing Minitures - How To?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
There Is Only War :: There Is Only War :: General Chat-
Jump to: